Sandbox Mode is the new mode added in Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, replacing the Terror Is Reality mode from Dead Rising 2. It involves Frank completing challenges, freely killing zombies, or gaining money.
Similar to Infinity Mode from the original Dead Rising, the mode removes the time limit, however, without the health drain and item restrictions. Instead, the player is free to do whatever he or she desires, be it levelling up and saving cash, or testing out every weapon possible and aiming for creative kills.
In the intro, Frank West is seen sitting in a helicopter. The pilot asks him if he's working on his next big scoop. Frank responds with "No way, pal. I'm not here for work. This... is my vacation!" as Frank jumps off the helicopter and lands on the roof of the Atlantica Casino.
The player is also offered to try out the various challenges around Fortune City. Challenges can vary from simple zombie killing in a set amount of time to collecting as many Massagers as possible. Better performances are rewarded with more cash, as well as Combo Cards, with the best times posted on the Online Leaderboards. In total, with 30 Solo and 30 Co-Op challenges each, there are 60 challenges to compete in.
Unlike Infinity Mode from Dead Rising, the Camera and Watch can both be freely used, the watch used only for checking the time, key for survivor spawning and cinema watching, and the camera is used for gaining PP.
Additionally, crazed survivors roam Fortune City, who will attack the player once in range. Compared to Story Mode, the survivors are stronger, and are capable of killing Frank if the player is not careful. Killing them rewards the player with their weapon and money.
Psychopaths that can be enountered during sandbox mode are:
- Amber Bailey and Crystal Bailey (during the Double Trouble Challenge)
- Brent Ernst
- Chuck Greene
- Hunters (Spawn at 6pm everyday).
- Looters (Found at several areas).
- Seymour Redding
- Carl Schliff
- Antoine Thomas
- Reed Wallbeck
- Roger Withers
- Brandon Whittaker
- Dwight Boykin
- Bibi Love
- Randall Tugman
They can be found where they are encountered in story mode.
Hostile Survivors that can be enountered during sandbox mode are:
- Randolph Allen (Paint can, Uranus Zone)
- Gordon Dawkins (Lead pipe, Silver Strip)
- LaShawndra Dawkins (Lead pipe, Food Court)
- Doris Elchart (LMG, Palisades mall)
- Nevada Slim (Handgun, Platinum Strip)
- Danni Bodine (Handgun, Royal Flush Plaza)
- Summer Chavez (2x4, Platinum Strip)
- Bill Montagu (Bowie knife, Atlantica Casino)
- Skylar Ali (Tiki torch, Yucatan Casino)
- Jack Ellis (Fire axe, Arena)
- Rebecca Chang (LMG, Platinum Strip)
- Kristopher Bookmiller (Massager, Palisades Mall)
- Cora Russel (Massager, Americana Casino)
- Michael Woo (Meat cleaver & Quickstep, Palisades Mall)
- Jasper Sanford (Baseball bat, Yucatan Casino)
- Janus Razo (Crowbar, Royal Flush Plaza)
- Royce St. John (Broadsword, Uranus Zone)
- Allen Ash (Assult rifle, Silver Strip)
- Trixie-Lynn Horton (Stand, Atlantica Casino)
- Elrod Bumpkins (Electric guitar, Americana Casino)
- Nina Suhr (Sledgehammer, South Plaza)
- Willa Harris (Frying pan, Royal Flush Plaza)
- Woodrow Rutherford (Machete, South Plaza)
- Sven Blaaborg (Tomahawk, Arena)