Overview (cases/scoops) • Books • Clothing • Food • Psychopaths • Stores • Survivors • Weapons
Overtime Mode is a Dead Rising game mode which is unlocked by completing 72 Hour Mode with Ending A, the best possible ending. It is a continuation of the story in 72 Hour Mode. Still at the mall and without a means of escape, Frank must figure out a way to stay alive and not become one of the walking dead.
Once this mode is unlocked a player can start a new game from the beginning of Day 4 overtime.
After Ed DeLuca's helicopter is destroyed by a lone zombie, Frank West collapses as more zombies approach from the now breached Security Room. Isabela Keyes rescues Frank from the zombie ambush and brings him back to her previous hideout, where she informs him that he has been infected by the zombie parasite. She states that their only chance is to hinder the zombification process by crafting a suppressant using ingredients and supplies found in the mall as well as specimens of Ampulex Compressa Giganteus. Frank has no choice but to head out and search for the required supplies, facing Special Forces troops, helicopter drones, and a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter with orders to capture any survivors they come across.
While investigating the information left behind by her brother Carlito, Isabela discovers that he has already set a plan into motion long ago - by having Isabela create a similar suppressant in their laboratory, he infected fifty orphans with the zombie parasite, administered the suppressant, and allowed them to be adopted by families all over the country - essentially planting fifty zombie time bombs.
The generator in the hideout soon starts to fail, and in order for Isabela to continue her work, Frank must retrieve a generator from the clock tower in the Leisure Park. Upon approaching the clock tower, he finds the remains of Ed's helicopter, as well as a hole in the clock tower that leads to an underground tunnel beneath the mall. The tunnel is swarming with zombies, but proves to be their only way out.
In the process of creating the suppressant, Isabela also manages to develop a pheromone that repels zombies. Using this pheromone to keep the swarm of zombies away from them, Frank and Isabela head into the tunnel and follow it to the end, where they find a sewage treatment plant. They find a Humvee and attempt to escape on the vehicle, but are confronted by a XM3 Prototype Tank manned by the leader of the Special Forces operation, Brock Mason.
While Frank drives the Humvee, Isabela operates the mounted Heavy Machine Gun on the vehicle, eventually destroying the tank's automatic system. Brock switches the tank to manual control mode and quickly rams the Humvee, causing it to tip over on its side. Isabela is knocked unconscious while Frank stumbles out.
Brock observes that as prey, humans are much more difficult to annihilate than zombies. He reveals that he had commanded the Santa Cabeza operation, and that his mission is to right the mistakes that humanity has proven adept at making. As he gloats, the automatic system senses a swarm of zombies approaching and swivels the cannon around, taking Brock off guard. Frank takes the opportunity to tackle him, knocking him out of the tank and engaging him in a hand-to-hand fight.
After Brock is defeated, he falls into the zombie crowd surrounding the tank and is torn apart. Isabela, having awakened during the fight, is desperately keeping the zombies away as they threaten to topple the Humvee. As zombies continue to surround the sewage treatment plant, Frank falls to his knees and screams to the skies.
An epilogue states that Frank West later managed to escape the town of Willamette with information about the situation. He released the news, causing a worldwide fervor that leads to the United States government admitting partial responsibility for the outbreak in Santa Cabeza. However, they claim that the Willamette outbreak is the work of a terrorist group (which is technically true), and they are not to be held responsible.
The people of the world soon allowed the Willamette incident to fade from their minds. Although Carlito's plan to use the orphans to infect the entire United States has not been confirmed or proven false, it remains a chilling possibility.
The Overtime Walkthrough is split into three pages:
- Overtime Mode/Collecting Items Collect the 8 items, the generator, and the 10 queens.
- After the cutscene with Isabela, Frank will have to run throughout the mall and collect eight items and 10 queens to help Isabela in formulating a suppressant for Frank's zombification. The items will be labeled with a blue key mark as Frank approaches them. Many of the zombies in the mall are dead, except for the ones in Leisure Park, but Special forces are throughout the mall.
- Overtime Mode/Cave Travel through the cave to the jeep.
- After collecting the items, Frank learns that Isabela has created a pheromone that repels zombies. A helicopter has crashed into the clock tower, revealing a zombie infested passage. Isabela and Frank travel through the tunnel to a sewage treatment plant. They ride of in the jeep.
- Overtime Mode/Final Battle Defeat the XM3 Prototype tank and Brock.
- Frank and Isabela are attacked by a XM3 Prototype tank driven by Brock Mason, leader of the Special Forces. Brock hits and overturns the jeep. Isabela is knocked unconscious. Frank and Brock battle atop the tank. Brock falls into the zombie horde surrounding the tank and is torn apart.
Frank has 24 game hours (2 real hours) to get the 8 items, generator and 10 queens to Isabela. Isabela then gives Frank an injection of the precursor of Zombrex and Frank will not become a zombie. The Cave and Final Battle take place after this, and are not part of the 24 hours.
During the 24 hours which Frank needs to collect these items, Frank will get reminders four ways of his impending zombification:
When traveling to a new load screen, a timer will be shown.
After certain cutscenes, a timer will be shown.
An information bar will notify Frank about how long Frank has before zombification. This bar appears at 24 hours, 6 hours, 3 hours, 1 hour and other times.
What causes the most trouble, is at certain times, Frank will drop the item he is holding in his inventory, and not be able to move for a few seconds.
Frank will exclaim, "Urk...Looks like I'll be one of them soon..."
At the end of 24 hours, Frank will become a zombie and the game is over.
In Overtime Mode Frank must contend with the Special Forces. In addition to ground troops, the Special Forces have a Special Forces Drone and a helicopter gunship. In the Final Battle Frank must also battle the XM3 Prototype Tank and Brock Mason.
As Frank collects these items in the mall, it is best if Frank tries to avoid and try to remain unseen by the special forces. The Special Forces are tough and congregate in large numbers when Frank is spotted.
Special Forces LocationsEdit
Special Forces always wait in same stores until alerted to Frank's presence. Special Forces soldiers never respawn in the same load area like zombies do, although they respawn when Frank goes through a load screen and then returns. This means that once Frank kills all of the soldiers and Special Forces Drones in one area, he does not have to worry about enemies respawning.
Listings with no numbers indicate only one Special Forces soldier in that location. This list is currently incomplete.
Captured by the Special ForcesEdit
If the Special Forces or zombies manage to completely deplete Frank's health, he is captured, stripped of all of his weapons and items, and handcuffed to the back of a helicopter in the parking lot of Leisure Park, near the entrance to the Maintenance Tunnels. Frank must struggle free of his ties and escape.
To successfully get away, shake the left thumbstick rapidly back and forth only when the Special Forces have their backs to Frank and are looking the other way. The meter located at the bottom of the screen slowly fills yellow as Frank struggles. When the stick is not being shaking, it slowly depletes. Once it has filled all the way, Frank is free.
The first time Frank is captured, he is handcuffed with one tie. The second time, two. The third time three. Each time he is captured, it's tougher for him to break free.
To quickly move forward in time, Frank can have his health completely depleted intentionally. When tied down, he can then be intentionally caught trying to release his bonds. Time will then jump forward 3 game hours after Frank is beat by the Special Forces.
Differences with 72 Hour ModeEdit
- N128 in North Plaza, the location of The Hatchet Man's three hostages is locked and chained. This means the Survival and Wrestling books are unavailable to Frank.
- Frank cannot access his Notebook in Overtime Mode. In the Cave and in the Final Battle the map option is grayed out.
- The Movieland Theater Warehouse in Cinema 4 is locked.
- When health completely depletes, Frank does not die and the game does not end like in 72 hour mode. Instead it continues into a special mission in which Frank must escape the Special Forces, and he is stripped of his weapons, items, and clothing.
Certain psychopath weapons do not appear in overtime mode.
|Psychopath||Weapon||Store||Plaza||Click to enlarge|
|Isabela Keyes||Motorcycle||North Plaza|
|Larry Chiang||Meat Cleaver||Meat Processing Area||Maintenance Tunnels|
|Steven Chapman||Weapon Cart||Seon's Food and Stuff||North Plaza|
- Except for Leisure Park and the Maintenance Tunnels all zombies have been killed. But there are around four to six animated zombies around the Al Fresca Plaza fountain. These zombies respawn if Frank walks far enough away from the fountain.
- Overtime Mode takes place from Day 4, September 22, 8 pm to Day 5, September 23, 8 pm.
- Special Forces soldiers cannot open doors, such as in Flexin' and The Sinister Read. They can shoot through the glass door and hit Frank though.
Captured by the special forces
- ↑ Off, Greg (August 7, 2006). Dead Rising Official Strategy Guide. BradyGames. , p. unknown
- ↑ Dead Rising Featured Guide, Cheat Happens.
- ↑ a b Off, Greg (August 7, 2006). Dead Rising Official Strategy Guide. BradyGames.
- ↑ Hall, Kevin. Dead Rising: Game Script by Berserker, GameFAQs, (January 5, 2009). Uses the name "helicopter drone".
- ↑ Around four to six zombies respawn in Al Fresca Plaza, see #Trivia.
- ↑ Four of the eight are on top of the shelving
- ↑ 2 in each of the 5 theaters. 2 in the 3 to 5 cinema hallway.
- ↑ The official guide incorrectly states that Frank will lose time when captured. Frank only loses time when the guards beat him for trying to escape.
- Monette, Michael. Overtime Mode, Super Cheats.
- Dead Rising Featured Guide, Cheat Happens Cases - Overtime Mode, Cheat Happens.
- Visual Walkthroughs - Dead Rising Walkthrough - Overtime, Visual Walkthroughs.
- Paterson, J. Dead Rising: FAQ/Walkthrough, GameFAQs, (October 8th, 2006).
- Dead Rising 14-hr marathon (7 Day Survivor) 8/11, Justin.tv, (October 25 2009), 14 hour 57 minute video.
|Weapons - Locations - Characters|
|72 Hour Mode - Overtime Mode - Infinity Mode - Odd Jobs - Second Amendment|
|Case 1-1 - Case 1-2 - Case 1-3 - Case 1-4 - Case 2-1 - Case 2-2 - Case 2-3 - Case 3-1 - Case 4-1 - Case 4-2 - Case 5-1 - Case 5-2 - Case 6-1 - Case 7-1 - Case 7-2 - Case 8-1 - Case 8-2 - Case 8-3 - Case 8-4 - The Facts|
|Above the Law - Antique Lover - Barricade Pair - Cheryl's Request - The Cult - Cut From the Same Cloth - The Coward - Dressed for Action - The Drunkard - Floyd the Sommelier - The Gun Shop - Gun Shop Standoff - Hanging by a Thread - The Hatchet Man - Japanese Tourists - Kindell's Betrayal - Long Haired Punk - Lovers - Love Lasts a Lifetime - Man in a Bind - Mark of the Sniper - A Mother's Lament - Out of Control - Paul's Present - Photo Challenge - Photographer's Pride - Prisoners - Restaurant Man - Ronald's Appetite - Shadow of the North Plaza - A Sick Man - Simone the Gunslinger - A Strange Group - Twin Sisters - A Woman in Despair - The Woman Left Behind - The Woman Who Didn't Make It|
|Achievements - Notebook - Prestige Points - Photography - Photo Ops - Skills - Transceiver - Waypoint|