- "Looks like you lured another man in here, you little whore."
- —Jo Slade, on Frank trying to rescue the captive
Jo Slade is a psychopath appearing in Dead Rising and a special zombie appearing in Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop. She is a corrupt police officer who had captured at least four young women in order to sexually assault them. Jo is found in the Lovely Fashion House in Wonderland Plaza during the scoop Above the Law.
Jo was seen entering a women's clothing store with a young woman. As Frank West arrived to investigate, he found the young woman, Kay, tied to a chair with Jo standing over her. Jo proceeded to taunt and verbally abuse the young woman, going as far as to threatening to sexually abuse her with a nightstick. Frank attempted to intervene, but Jo demanded him not to interfere or be dealt with.
In Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop, psychopath Jo does not appear, along with her scoop and hostages, despite trailers showing her in the game. Instead, Jo appears as two different variants of zombies. The blue-shirted zombie Jo has two stun guns and appears at night, and the brown-shirted, brown-hatted, aviator sunglasses-wearing version of zombie Jo has a handgun and a stun gun. Zombie Jo is very powerful and is capable of dealing heavy damage, but can be taken out quickly with a shotgun blast to the face.
Jo is unique among the psychopaths in that she will actively attack her hostages. If Frank is not near her or trying to attack her, she will walk around the store and attack Kay, Lilly, Kelly, or Janet. She can attack Frank in four different ways, although she will only use two of those on her hostages.
Kick: Jo can lash out with a kick similar to Frank's kick attack. This is one of the attacks that she will target her hostages with.
Stun Gun: She can use her stun gun to electrocute Frank. Although this attack is slow, it is devastating when it connects as Frank is knocked to the floor and rendered immobile for several seconds afterward. During this time, Jo can follow up by stomping on Frank's groin, dealing several blocks of damage until Frank recovers. This is one of the attacks that she will target her hostages with.
Bludgeon: If Frank is close to her, she will attempt to bludgeon Frank with a swing of her fist. This attack is slow but is capable of dealing heavy damage.
Handgun: If Frank is out of her attack range or aiming at her with a firearm, she will pull out her handgun and shoot at Frank. This attack deals only light damage.
- Photo Op: Up to 10,000 PP
- Psychopath Defeated Bonus: 30,000 PP
Defeating Jo rewards Frank with the handcuff key, which allows him to free her hostages.
Defeating Jo rewards Frank with a stun gun, which respawns in Lovely Fashion House.
Defeating Jo allows Frank to rescue the following survivors:
- According to one of her hostages, Janet Star, she has already killed a few other girls.
- She accuses Kay Nelson of luring another man into the store, suggesting that others have tried and failed to rescue her hostages.
- It is suggested that Jo was responsible for injuring another survivor, Ross Folk, while attempting to abduct his girlfriend Tonya Waters.
- Jo has one of the tallest and largest characters models.
- In the beta version of Dead Rising, Jo holds Sophie Richards hostage instead of Kay.
- In the Odd Jobs menu in Chop Till You Drop, Jo makes an appearance in her human form.
- The two zombie Jo's in Chop Till You Drop have different movement animations.
- On the first Characters page of Dead Rising's game manual, Jo is shown without her glasses. The same image of her is used in Frank's Notebook except she is wearing her glasses.
- Her theme is "Heaven's Creepin' In", by Supernova Syndicate.
- Dwight Boykin, a Dead Rising 2 psychopath, says a line similar to Jo's when being defeated: "I can't believe a worthless zombie did me in!", except Jo says "prick" instead of "zombie".
- Jo is mentioned in Dead Rising 2: Off The Records when saving Deidre Sanchez in the mission Long Legs of The Law, saying "You're much nicer then the last female cop I met".
- When Jo pulls out her nightstick she says: "Say hello to my little friend." Obviously referencing the movie: Scarface.