- "We are proud to stock a selection of arms from all around the world. Note that customers must show identification for any purchase."
- —Willamette Parkview Mall Map
Frank West was informed of the Huntin' Shack, by Otis Washington upon his first entry of the North Plaza. Frank took a trip to the shop in search of fire arms to aid him in his quest for the true cause of the outbreak; however once he arrived at the store, Frank witnessed the propriator of the shop Cletus Samson, shoot an unarmed man who was asking for a gun. In self defense, Frank was forced to deal with the surly owner, who instead of fighting, ran out of his shop in fear. This action sealed Cletus's fate, as he was attacked by the zombified form of the man who he had killed just minutes earlier.
After two days in the mall, three survivors took over the store whether or not Frank had killed Cletus. The three survivors were, Brett Styles, Jonathan Picardsen, and Alyssa Laurent. They were initially hostile, and opened fire upon Frank until he left the store. Jonathan then confronted Frank, and all three of them would join him only if he could show them a picture of the Security Room vent. Frank presented them the photo, and the three followed Frank back to safety.
- Alyssa Laurent, during the scoop Gun Shop Standoff
- Jonathan Picardsen, during the scoop Gun Shop Standoff
- Brett Styles, during the scoop Gun Shop Standoff, and as a hostile survivor in infinity mode
- If Frank does not have the picture, they will remain at the store until he comes back and shows it to them.
- The exact same events take place in the "alternate reality", of Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop; however instead of the zombified james killing Cletus, Frank was able to save Cletus's life. Desite this happening, the trio CAN be saved; should Frank be fast enough and skilled enough on 2 certain missions. From then on, Cletus provided to be Frank's source of firearms, and ammunition. Though since Chop till you drop is not canon, Cletus truly was killed.
- In infinity mode the Huntin' Shack is a good place to take shelter after you kill Cletus or the three armed survivors, just close the door behind frank
- In the northeast corner on the wall near the cash register, and in the middle of the south wall next to a rotary display, there are posters of a human silhouette target with a caption reading "BRAST AWAY! NOW!" This spelling error is likely due to a Japanese-English translation oversight.