- "This weapon is recommended by vikings and zombie killers alike!"
- —Defiler Combo Card
The Defiler is a combo weapon in Dead Rising 2 and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record. It is created by combining two fire axe heads to the handle of a sledge hammer that has been turned onto its side. It can be made immediately after receiving access to the first maintenance room (via a Scratch Card combo) by taking a fire axe from the safe house, and by picking up a sledge hammer from around the corner from the Maintenance Room. It is before the doors to the mall.
- Primary: Chuck will do an upward swing and two horizontal swings by tapping three times.
- Secondary: Chuck will do a quick horizontal swing, much like the Sledgehammer by holding briefly. Press and hold again to do a second swing.
- Secondary (Combo Card): After the initial horizontal swing, holding down will make Chuck spin around rapidly, Defiler extended, while slightly moving forward. It's possible to end this attack early by releasing, or extend it by holding, .
- Jump Attack: Jump and tap to make Chuck swing downwards.
- As with most heavy weapons, it is important to realize that while dealing out a high amount of damage, the Defiler's swing speed is fairly slow, and some psychopaths may not only recover after taking one attack, but might attack before the first hit connects. Despite its devastating potential, this weapon is not the best choice for every adversary. Good results have been reported against Leon Bell and Seymour Redding.
- It is impossible to use either the jump kick or the flying dropkick with the Defiler equipped: like several other weapons, it has its own jump attack, which is automatically used instead.
- The jump attack from the Defiler is fairly quick and strikes only in one direction, so it is safe to use with survivors behind you. No zombie can survive it (gas zombies are also killed). Looters and mercenaries are also instantly neutralized.
- Be careful when using the spinning attack with the Defiler, as once you finish your spin, you will be dizzy and left vulnerable for a brief moment. If you hold the attack button but release it before the swing is completed, Chuck will do a devastating roundhouse swing (which will easily kill seven or eight zombies), but not go into the spinning attack.
- Along with the Knife Gloves, it is arguably one of the best weapons in Dead Rising 2. This is because it fits in Chuck's inventory, does horrific damage, and provides a fairly generous PP bonus for each kill. And, the items needed to build it are easy to find. The chief difference between the Knife Gloves and the the Defiler is that the Defiler is much better against big crowds, while the Knife Gloves are faster and therefore much more versatile.
- The Defiler's chief weaknesses are its relative slowness, and its limited durability: when you are killing multiple zombies with each use (a single swing can take out seven or eight zombies, and one use of the alternate attack can kill fifteen or more), the weapon will wear out very quickly. Since it is a combo weapon, there is no way to make it last longer.
- It's possible to become completely frozen in the swinging attack animation. From here, you cannot do anything except access menus or load a previous save.
This weapon's secondary (Combo Card) attack is a possible reference to another Capcom game. In the Monster Hunter franchise, when the player's character uses a hammer-type weapon's fully charged attack whilst running, the character performs a spinning attack almost identical to the defiler's; spinning around with the weapon extended and moving forward slowly.
The Defiler can be used by Frank West in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.