- "Name and Rank Soldier!"
- —Cliff,upon seeing Frank
Cliff Hudson is a psychopath appearing in Dead Rising and a zombie in Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop. He was a veteran of the Vietnam War who had taken refuge inside Crislip's Home Saloon after experiencing a war flashback, capturing "prisoners of war", who were actually survivors of the zombie outbreak. He was found in Crislip's Home Saloon during the scoop The Hatchet Man.
Cliff was seen carrying a machete in Crislip's Home Saloon. As Frank arrived to investigate, he found several headless zombies suspended from the ceiling with rope. Cliff then appeared behind him and confronted him, demanding his name and military rank. When Frank failed to answer, Cliff accused him of being a member of the Viet Cong and proceeded to attack him by swinging his machete at him. Frank manages to get out of the way in time, gets back on his feet, and looks cautiously around the store for Cliff. Cliff then claims that Frank is, quote, "...going to tell me where the guerrilla's hideout is," while he is seen stalking around the large hardware shelves in the store.
After he is defeated, Cliff returns to his senses and explained that he had gone insane after hearing the dying screams of his granddaughter as she was mauled by the undead. He dies after giving Frank a key case containing a key to the empty store next to Crislip's Home Saloon, as well as a picture of his family. Frank then closed Cliff's eyes out of respect.
In Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop, Cliff doesn't appear as a psychopath, but instead, he appears as a zombie. Zombie Cliff wields two machetes and attacks by wildly flailing his blades while charging after Frank. His presence can be identified by the sounds of him scraping his machetes against each other. He carries machetes but when killed he drops a katana.
Cliff appears in the North Plaza (Crislip's Home Saloon) at 1:07:00 - 2:00:00 and 6:07:00 0 6:19:00 and is armed with a machete, pipe bombs, and road flares. When killed, he drops red cabbage, a baguette, a randomizer juice drink, a handgun, and a machine gun.
Cliff's weapon of choice is a bloodied machete. He will also use the many trapdoors in Crislip's Home Saloon to make a quick getaway and re-appear on the top of the shelves out of Frank's sight. Cliff can attack in several different ways.
Machete: Cliff's normal mode of attack is to charge at Frank, slashing with his machete, and finishing with a knee strike. He can also do a heavy attack by impaling Frank with his machete from behind. After attacking, he will dash towards the nearest trap door and escape through it.
Road Flares: While on the top of the shelves, Cliff will throw road flares that release thick smoke, causing Frank to have a coughing fit if he gets near. The flares can be extinguished by a fire extinguisher.
Pipe Bomb: Cliff can also throw pipe bombs while he is on the top of the shelves. If Frank is caught in the explosion, he will suffer heavy damage and be knocked off his feet.
- Photo Op: Up to 10,000 PP
- Psychopath Defeated Bonus: 30,000 PP
Defeating Cliff rewards Frank with the empty store key, which allows him to free the survivors being held hostage.
Defeating Cliff rewards Frank with the machete, which respawns in Crislip's Home Saloon.In infinity mode Bill drops cliffs machete
Defeating Cliff allows Frank to rescue the following survivors:
The woman and child seen in Cliff's family picture bear some resemblance to Connie and Dakota, although there is no confirmed relation between them. This has sparked debate among many gamers about whether the woman and child are in fact Connie and Dakota. Although Dakota's hair is blonde as opposed to the brown haired girl seen in the picture.
- A photo op is obtained from taking a picture of him going through one of the opened vents around the store, which will net you up to 10,000 PP points.
- As long as Frank is not in Crislip's Home Saloon, he can still be in the North Plaza to receive the call about The Hatchet Man.
- The song that plays during his fight is "Slave" by The Evolutionaries.
- His scoop is called "The Hatchet Man", though he wields a machete.
- One of Cliff's hostages, Josh Manning, acknowledges the fact that Cliff could have been a nice man before the Willamette Incident.
- Cliff's voice actor, Steven Blum, also voices Roger Hall of the Hall Family, a group of psychopaths.
- In Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop, the sound effect of zombie Cliff scraping his machetes together is the same sound effect which is used when Larry is sharpening his cleaver.
- Of all the psychopaths (besides Paul Carson), Cliff is the only one to come to his senses and apologize to Frank and explain his actions before he died.
- The decapitated bodies hanging from the ceiling and blood-streaked walls and floors are permanent after the battle with Cliff.
- Cliff Hudson has some similarities with Dean Wayne, both have been in the army, both are War Veterans and both also shout: Name and Rank Soldier! When they spot the main protagonist.
- Cliff also relates to Dwight Boykin since both go insane from war related experiences.
- Cliff is 58 years old, though he appears as a middle-aged adult.
- In the first shown trailer for Dead Rising, the zombies that are on top of the ceiling in Cliffs fighting ground still have their heads. This was probably done to avoid censorship for extreme blood and gore, which was not allowed in some countries.
- Cliff is very much like Chuck Greene in Dead Rising 2: OTR, as both were once good family men until they lost their minds due to the loss of their respective young female family member. Cliff's granddaughter made him snap into a flashback of Vietnam, where as Chuck's daughter Katey sent him over the edge into believing a stuffed doll was his child. When Frank grabs the childs leg, this causes Chuck to Snap but unfortunately, Chuck never reverts back to his sanity like Cliff did after his fight.
- His face model resembles actor Michael Rooker (Merle Dixon, from The Walking Dead TV Series).
- Cliff is similar to Slappy and Chuck (OTR) as they've all gone insane from losing loved ones.
- Cliff is one of the psychopath's in the Dead Rising series to have any family relatives.