- "Every time I come shopping with you, something happens to raise my blood pressure!"
- —Alan arguing with Kathy.
Alan Peterson is a victim appearing in Dead Rising. He was found in the Entrance Plaza of the Willamette Parkview Mall. He was killed when Lindsay Harris removed the barricades and allowed the zombies to break into the plaza.
Alan was first seen arguing with his wife Kathy in the Entrance Plaza. He blamed her for their present predicament. She then accused him of infidelity, and he replied he couldn't wait to see the look on her face when the zombies get her. When the zombies broke into the plaza, he attempted to defend himself with a 2" x 4" and head for the stairs, but was killed before he could reach safety.
Alan appears in the North Plaza (CD Crazy) at 0:19:00 - 1:00:00 and is armed with a lead pipe. When killed, he drops raw meat, a bowling ball, a shovel, and a step ladder.
- Despite their argument, Alan and Kathy are the only pair to remain close to each other after the zombies break in.
- He is the one of the few survivors that fight back during the zombie break in.
- Alan is scripted to follow Kathy, who is scripted to head for the stairs during the zombie break in. However, sometimes she may only do this when shoved in some way either by Frank or a zombie. If Alan is forced away from Kathy (i.e. via Hammer Throw attack), he will quickly rush back to her side whether she is still alive or not, sometimes mumbling "Sounds too hard..."
- In the event the two actually do make it to the stairs, they will hang around halfway up and, and despite being safe, will still be classed as Dead in the notebook.
- In the beta version of Dead Rising, Alan was featured in a scoop called A Woman With Secrets, and was found in McHandy's Hardware with another woman named Rachel. 
- Despite his death being unpreventable, his picture is ironically used for the Saint achievement
- His one of the last people to die during the zombie break-in.
- Before the zombies break into the mall Alan's 2x4 is unseen
- Alan does not appear in Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop.